Carne Desmechada, Colombian Ropa Vieja With Egg
1 Flank Steak (about 1 lb.)
1 medium yellow or white onion, small dice
1 medium yellow or white onion, cut in 4
1 carrot, peeled and cut into 2-3 pieces
2 medium tomatoes, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbs. Olive or vegetable oil
1 Tbs. tomato paste
1 tsp. cumin
2 Tbs. Adobo
½ bunch cilantro, chopped
Pepper to taste
- In a medium pot, cover the flank steak with water and add the adobo, the quartered onion, and the carrot. Bring to a boil and simmer for 1 ½ – 2 hours. Make sure the steak is cooked but tender.
- Remove from stock and cool. Reserve stock for sauce.
- When the steak is cooled, shred using two forks or by hand. Reserve
- In a large skillet or wok, heat the oil and add the diced union.
- Brown the onion and add the minced garlic and diced tomato. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring to prevent sticking.
- Add tomato paste and cumin. Ladle in about 1 cup of stock. Mix well and allow to cook for another 10 minutes. Ladle in more stock.
- After 10 minutes you should have a watery sauce. If it’s like a paste or too dry, add in more stock.
- Add shredded flank steak and coat completely with sauce. Cook for 5 minutes or more. You can make the sauce thick or let it cook down completely, it’s a matter of taste. (Experiment!)
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs.
- Add beaten eggs to the steak and sauce, mixing thoroughly.
- When egg has cooked, add cilantro, give a final stir, and serve over white rice.
- Today’s Recipe: Grilled Flank Steak Salad with Tomatoes (williams-sonoma.com)
- Bloody Mary Salad w/Flank Steak (dishingitoutwithclarissa.com)